Welcome to Rice Classifieds. The following describes the terms on which Rice Classifieds offers you access to our services.
By using the services on the Rice Classifieds Website you are agreeing to the following terms. You may review this agreement at any time on the Rice Classifieds website.
Before you may become a member of Rice Classifieds, you must read and accept all of the terms and conditions in this User Agreement. This Agreement is effective on February 13, 2007, for current users, and upon acceptance for new users.
Using Rice Classifieds
Only members of the Rice University community with Rice NetID logons will be able to post items on the Website. While using the Website, you agree not to:
Much of the information on the Website is updated on a real-time basis and is proprietary or is licensed to Rice Classifieds by our users or third parties. You agree that you will not use any robot, spider, scraper or other automated means to access the Website for any purpose without our express written permission.
- post items/property without documented approval from the department/school head;
- post content or items in an inappropriate category or areas on the Website;
- violate any laws, third party rights, or our University policies including the policies specified, or linked to, in the section Additional Terms below;
- fail to deliver payment for items purchased by you
- fail to deliver items purchased from you
- harvest or otherwise collect information about users, including email addresses, without their consent
Additionally, you agree that you will not:
- take any action that imposes or may impose (in our sole discretion) an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on our infrastructure;
- copy, reproduce, modify, create derivative works from, distribute, or publicly display any content (except for Your Information) from the Website without the prior expressed written permission of Rice Classifieds and the appropriate third party, as applicable;
- interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper working of the Website or any activities conducted on the Website; or
- any measures we may use to prevent or restrict access to the Website.
Abusing Rice Classifieds
Rice Classifieds and the Community work together to report problems, offensive content, and policy violations.
Without limiting other remedies, we may limit, suspend, or terminate user accounts, prohibit access to our Website, remove content, and take steps to keep users off the Website if we think that they are creating problems, or acting inconsistently with the letter or spirit of our policies.
Fees and Services
Joining Rice Classifieds to post items requires a valid Rice University NetID logon and is free.
Unless otherwise stated, all listings are quoted in U.S. Dollars. The buyer is responsible for paying applicable taxes associated with the listed item in a timely manner with a valid payment method.
Legal Issues and Release
You agree not to hold Rice Classifieds responsible for other users' actions or inactions, including things they post. You acknowledge that we are not a traditional auctioneer. Instead, the Website is a venue to allow the Rice Community to offer, transfer, buy and/or sell, old and beyond-its useful-life Rice property. Rice University does not pre-screen or pre-authorize transactions and, other than providing this web tool and receiving funds from the sale of its items, is not involved in the details of a transaction between buyer and offeror. Therefore, Rice cannot and does not guarantee the quality, suitability, safety or other characteristics of items offered, the truth or accuracy of listings, and the permissibility or capability of buyers or offerors to complete a particular transaction. (Rice reserves the right to reverse any transaction where the offeror was not authorized to sell the item in question.) You should resolve any questions or concerns prior to bidding or purchase.
Accordingly, to the extent legally permitted by applicable law, Rice disclaims all implied warranties, terms, and conditions. You agree Rice is not liable for any loss of money, goodwill, or reputation, or any special, indirect, or consequential damages arising out of your use of our Website.
You agree to release all Rice University (and its trustees, officers, directors, agents, and employees) from any and all claims, demands and damages of every kind and nature, known and unknown, arising out of or in any way connected with use of Rice Classifieds.
The following policies are part of this Agreement and provide additional terms and conditions related to specific services offered on the Site:
Environmental Health and Safety Guidelines
Further information can be found at the following link:
- Hazardous Materials Disposal
- Glassware Safety and Disposal
- Laboratory Equipment Disposal
Property Accounting Guidelines
Research Accounting Guidelines
As outlined by the federal government Office of Management and Budget Circular A-110, section Property Standards, subsection .34, Equipment.
Information Technology Guidelines
- Items purchased or re-purchased through Rice Classifieds sales are not supported by the Rice's Office of Information Technology.
If the device is capable of storing information (computers, hard drive, flash drive, some printers, etc), it must be purged of all information
and software before the transfer of ownership. See the university's guidelines:
Dispose of Computing Resources. OIT Divisional Representatives can assist with the proper disposal of equipment.
Rice University Policy Number 809, Control of Equipment and Other Property
As described in the Rice University general policy section Rice University General Policy No. 809.
Each of these policies may be changed from time to time. All such policies or rules are hereby incorporated into this Agreement.